2010: A Year in Review

Well, I may be a few days into this glorious new year, but I think it is important to look back and reflect on and learn from all the things from the year before.

Faith:

Where to even BEGIN!? How good is Jesus? I can hardly formulate words to describe what He has done in my life. You always hear that "Sanctification is a slow process"... I would most definitely agree with that.
To see how far Christ has brought me, allowing me to struggle through things and then giving me the strength to overcome them, has been an incredible blessing. As hard as those trials are when you're in them, its amazing to look back and see how you grow through them. Not to mention being able to see all the answered prayer!
The word to describe how I feel about faith in my life over the last year: HOPE.
Even in the darkest times there is still hope, knowing that God, the Author and Creator of salvation sent His Son to die for me, that through His death and resurrection I could KNOW Him!
No matter what I do, I still stand REDEEMED under the blood of Christ.
There is perfect peace in that.

This summer in particular was a period of wonderful growth. There were new friendships born and old ones renewed. I dove into being more involved at church and was able to help out at youth... two things that bring such JOY to my life. Through getting involved and making a commitment to attend one church body, God was and has been so faithful to bless it, providing me with ways to get out there and friends who are faithful to making sure I make it there and home.

These past four months have been a time of growth and learning to be still before the Lord, trusting in His divine plan for my life and allowing Him to push me out of my comfort zone.
Obedience is KEY.
One way I learned this was through giving my testimony of Christ's work in my life and being baptized. Making that public declaration of faith and then allowing yourself to be held accountable to that body of believers is both extremely gratifying and intimidating. I have felt nothing but blessed since taking that step of faith.
Another way I learned about obedience was by getting involved in the church. I am now serving in the worship ministry, singing on the worship team and helping to lead others to worship the Lord in corporate worship. I have seen nothing but fruit since getting involved in this ministry, it has opened doors to meet new people and new opportunities to share Christ with others.

Love:
A Mr. Sam Thrall would be the focus of this category.
Almost 4 years later, I still look at him and get butterflies. I think of all that God has done in our relationship and I can't help but get teary eyed and acknowledge how AWESOME God is.
We have had our fair share of ups and downs, but God has used them to bring us to Him, and for that I am so thankful.
Looking back at our relationship from when we were dating as non-Christians and dating to now that we are, it is amazing to see the difference that Jesus makes.

The distance between us isn't as hard, rather something that will only prepare us for a life together.
Little things don't matter as much.
Forgiveness is guaranteed.
Love is always given.

What I have learned:
- To love first. ("And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony." Colossians 3:14)
- The importance of praying together and for each other.
- The importance of boundaries and being above reproach.
- To guard our hearts.
- Forgiveness is crucial.
- Trust God, trust each other.

I am SO excited to see what God has in store for us this year.

Family:
So.much.answered.prayer.
I have been so blessed to have Christian parents who have taught me about Jesus my whole life. They have both encouraged and challenged me in my faith. I have two sisters who, although we haven't always been the best friend of friends, we have learned to love each other through thick and thin.
Looking back over 2010 it has been so cool to see all that God has done in our hearts and lives. He has been our Father, our Saviour, and our Healer.
He brought everyone back together and began the process of reconciliation. Over time we have learned what it means to be a family, loving each other, serving selflessly and constantly forgiving. I can't even describe how thankful I am for what He has done and for His continued daily Grace in our lives.

Friends:
Again, so much answered prayer.
"Let us hold fast the confession of hope without wavering, for He who promised is FAITHFUL. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day is drawing near." Hebrews 10:23-25
God has been so faithful to provide me with some wonderful new friends. Both at church and at school, he has brought new friends in and redeemed old relationships. I have learned the importance of surrounding yourself with people who love the Lord as well as with people who don't know the Lord. I have learned so much from both types of friendships.
I am learning to:
encourage and rebuke in love.
listen more than I speak.
stand up for what I believe in.
respect the beliefs of others.
pray for people.
not judge others, but love them.
recognize that sanctification is different for everyone, I can't expect everyone to be learning the same lessons I am at the same time.

This last point has been CRUCIAL for me. Learning how to not be a pharisee and judge people, but rather loving them regardless and praying for them continually.

2010 was a year of new friendships and relationships that I pray continue on and grow for the rest of my time on this planet.


School:

Going into my third year of school this year, I made a conscious decision that this year would be different. That I would put Christ first in all things, whether that be my work ethic (strong focus and meditation on Colossians 3:23-24
) choices about how to best spend my time, and choices regarding to friendships and relationships that are good or bad. I am proud to say that God is SO faithful in all things, and these things in particular. Not only has He taught me how to focus (hugely credited to learning to read my Bible in quiet times, and pray) but also has given such clear direction in how to use my time to glorify Him and which relationships in my life are pleasing to Him.
I actually love being in school now, which in turn has transformed all the work into something I am glad to do as I am learning how to master my craft in order to worship to the best of my abilities.


There's so much more to say for this past year, but alas, I feel like I'm writing a novel.
So thankful for 2010, for its trials and blessings.
Here's to an even better 2011 and all that it brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment