Mediocrity is climbing molehills without sweating.

Today I had one of those "life lesson" moments.
I received an envelope from the University of Toronto with my name handwritten across the front. Looking at the sending address I see my theory professors name handwritten above it.
Upon opening it, I found no note or paper with any regards, simply a gift certificate to the movies with my name on it.
What you might not know is that school has never been my forte. Not to say I am not smart, I am, and have always been told I'm capable of excelling in school, but simply I haven't had the motivation to put the effort in. I just never cared.
Taking it back a few months, mid-January I received a letter saying that I was in danger of failing the course, to which I responded by talking to my teacher to see what my options were. He told me that he couldn't grade me on past assignments that weren't handed in but that he would take it into consideration when it came to passing me.
So what did I do?
I got a tutor.
More importantly though, I happened to read Matthew 25:14 around the same time.
I realized that not giving my absolute best in school was my way of "wasting my talents", something that I have been called to rise above.
To summarize a long story, I worked harder than I ever have at something I utterly despise (theory) and not only did I "barely pass" the course, I achieved above the class average.

What I find the most amazing about this though is how God gets the glory.
God gave me a Professor who genuinely cares how I do in his class, who doesn't want me to fail and pushes me to achieve the best.
It was His conviction that led me to work harder.
He is the reason for the change in me.

I can't wait for the day that I get to explain that to my Professor.. That Christ is the reason I work harder, not to bring myself praise and pat myself on the back, but to give Him the honour and praise by showing and using all the gifts He has given me for His glory.

Colossians 3:23-24
"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ."



No comments:

Post a Comment