MCATs and Other Life Lessons

So today my sweet boyfriend, Samuel Robert Thrall, is writing his MCATs.
What does this mean? It's his medical entrance exam, aka determines his career path and what he will be doing with his life.
Am I nervous? Maybe a little, but I am deeply at peace knowing that God will provide the answers and will ultimately (and most importantly) be glorified in this.

Thinking ahead to what the future will bring has also caused me to sit back and reflect on this last year since becoming a Christian. I see that this summer has been both a blessing and a challenge, I have learned so much and have seen God do amazing things both in my life, and the lives around me.

For starters, Sam and I were able to recreate a relationship that revolved solely around glorifying Christ and what that means practically, day by day.
(For those who are unaware, we began our relationship almost 4 years ago, not Christians and living to glorify the self)
We broke up a couple times and although yes, they were trying times that weighed heavy on both of our hearts, I look back and see those times as a blessing and times of immense growth for us individually.

Now I know all this may seem like very personal information to share, but I feel that these facts and our history are crucial to where we're at today.
Let me start by saying that trying to change a sinful, self-glorifying relationship into one that pleases the Lord is not easy.
It inevitably took us breaking up for 4 months to grow in our individual relationships with the Lord. Even getting back together was a struggle as it was long distance and our relationship grew mainly over talking on the phone.
I think that's why this summer has been so great. It was like starting a brand new relationship.
There were trying moments, but it is such an awesome testimony to God's power and work in people's lives to look back and see how much growth there has been, individually and together.

When you put Christ at the center, He will bless you and will help you through hard times.

In my own life, by God's grace I have overcome many of my own obstacles by turning to Christ. 1. I used to live for my own selfish desires... aka I lived for Sam.
...Now I strive to live for Christ and put Him at the center of Sam's and my relationship.
2. I dealt with numerous convictions, such as modesty and partying...
Leading me to give away two garbage bags of clothing and eliminate friends/temptations in my life that would cause me to stumble.

It's interesting to look at my life and the things I used to struggle with when I became a Christian just over a year ago and the grace God has given me.
He has filled me with a desire to know Him and get in His word, learning more about Him.
He has filled me with a desire to serve and glorify Him in everything I do.
He has filled me with a desire to talk about Him and tell the world about Him.
He has blessed me with solid teaching at a wonderful church (Harvest Oakville) and Christian friends and influences who can hold me accountable.
He has blessed me with a mom who is wise and who I can be open with about my struggles.
He has blessed me with a wonderful boyfriend who encourages me to take a stand for Christ daily and to live for Him alone.
He has blessed me with a great job (Indigo) where I can openly be a Christian.
He has blessed me with a deep awareness of His presence and guidance when it comes to making big, life-changing decisions.


God has been so faithful this year.
Providing me more than I need or could ever ask for.

So as Sam writes his MCATs, I sit at my computer and reflect upon all the grace God has shown us in the last year alone. I know with absolute certainty that He will continue to guide us - individually and together - to make the decisions that will give Him the most glory.


Psalm 145

I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever. Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts. On the glorious splendor of your majesty, and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. They shall speak of the might of your awesome deeds, and I will declare your greatness. They shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness and shall sing aloud of your righteousness.The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. The LORD is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made. All your works shall give thanks to you, O LORD, and all your saints shall bless you! They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom and tell of your power, to make known to the children of man your mighty deeds, and the glorious splendor of your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures throughout all generations. The LORD is faithful in all his words and kind in all his works. The LORD upholds all who are falling and raises up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food in due season. You open your hand; you satisfy the desire of every living thing. The LORD is righteous in all his ways and kind in all his works. The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them. The LORD preserves all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy. My mouth will speak the praise of the LORD, and let all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment